News and Announcements
The Midget T1 team takes on the Nanaimo T1 Team Sunday Feb 25 at 2:30pm in Game 2 of the best of 3 playoff series.
The winner of the best of 3 series will represent Vancouver Island at the BC Hockey Provincial Championships in Fort St John.
Saanich won game 1 in Nanaimo 5-1
Game 2 start time: Sunday Feb 25 at 2:30pm in Pearkes GOLD rink
Please come out and support your SMHA Midget T1 Team.
The general meeting will be held on March 12, 2018 at 7:00p.m. in the G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre (Owen Room) located at 3100 Tillicum Road, Saanich, BC.
Eligible Members will be entitled to receive and cast a ballot at the general meeting indicating their vote for (“yes”) or against (“no”) the matter as stated in the General Meeting notice emailed to eligible voters.. Members must vote in person – no proxy votes shall be accepted. The results of the vote shall be made known as soon as practicable following the meeting and no later than March 14, 2018.
There will be no discussion as to the merits of the Requisition nor the text of the matter at the meeting – voting shall be the only business conducted during this general meeting.
A maximum of three $500.00 scholarships are awarded annually, one in each of the following three zones:
• South Island MHAs include: Juan de Fuca, Kerry Park, Peninsula, Saanich, Sooke, Victoria and Victoria Racquet Club
• Mid Island MHAs include: Alberni Valley, Cowichan Valley, Lake Cowichan, Nanaimo and Oceanside
• North Island MHAs include: Campbell River, Comox Valley, Gold River, Powell River and Tri-Port
The scholarship selections will be based on the following:
• Academic achievement
• Good school and community participation and service
• Hockey participation
To be eligible, players or game officials must be:
• Currently registered in Juvenile or their last year of Midget.
• Scholarship funds must be used for tuition at an accredited post-secondary institution.
• Winners must provide proof of enrolment and payment of tuition fees in order for the scholarship award to be payable to the student.
• Winners may request an extension to their scholarship of up to one (1) year provided that such a request is put in writing to the Executive Director and approved by the VIAHA Officers.
• All supporting documentation MUST accompany the application form.
The deadline to submit applications is March 31st, 2018. The scholarship applications will then be reviewed by a committee appointed by the VIAHA President and winners will be announced at the VIAHA Annual General Meeting on May 27th, 2018. All applications become the property of VIAHA and will not be returned to the applicant.
The document VIAHA_2018_Scholarship_Awards_Application_Form.pdf was attached to this post.
Please note that Player and Golaie Development ice has been cancelled for Feb 20 & 27 as the ice has been allocated to the
JR B playoffs.
PeeWee Female Team Wins Gold at the Oceanside Tournament
The team went 5-0 on the weekend with 4 shutouts, including the gold medal game with a 2-0 final score.